Meet Adoptable Cooper!
Cooper is an exceptional 8.5 year old, male, tan with black and silver muzzle, 50lb Canaan-Saluki.
We are helping our friend find a forever home home for Cooper, a dog she dedicated her time to helping find his new family so he wouldn’t be bounced around anymore and could retire in peace and comfort.
Cooper is resilient, surviving the first 2 years of his life on the streets. Cooper was saved by a local rescue, and has spent most of his life between kennels and foster homes as humans continued to fail him. During the last 1.5 years through the pandemic, he secured a long-term foster placement by a foster couple willing to give him a fair chance, allowing him to trust and open up as a well-loved family member and showing humans what a hidden gem this pup really is.
Cooper is now looking to live out his retirement in the cooler climates and laid back pace of the Canadian west coast with a well-deserved caring and nurturing single/couple/mature family.
A little more about Cooper:
• House & toiled-trained like no other, he is completely domesticated, non-destructive, quiet, respectful and a total gentleman in the house. He has been given open range to all spaces/rooms in his latest foster’s home, and needs his next human to show him the “safe” room(s) and spaces so he feels the most comfortable and like he won’t make a mistake or be punished.
• He loves a couch/bed/soft furniture (well-deserved after years spent on hard floors!), so would be best suited to someone who is ok with pets on their furniture.
• He loves his quiet / nap time, but is equally as excited for road trips/hikes/outings with his human(s). He has been taken on new daily hikes since his arrival to Canada, and he loves to explore more than anything else.
• Once he gains trust, he loves being close to his humans, receiving massages and pets. He responds very well to praise and rewards, far better than scoldings or punishments.
• He loves meeting new people and socializing in the home environment, or out on the streets (with a proper introduction).
• He is a big sucker for small dogs! Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, or really anything his size or smaller will initiate whimpering and Cooper desperately trying to make his way over for playtime!
• He knows a series of commands, and given his DNA is incredibly smart and loves being mentally stimulated with new tricks, puzzle toys, etc. He is moderately interested in toys, but loves the occasional rough-housing playtime.
• He should not be left outside in a yard or patio when humans are not home, but enjoys spending time outside with his humans and suntanning. He has lived fine in both apartments and houses, but is most comfortable in a home with a yard and a window / patio with a view to watch the world go by.
• Best feature and #1 comment from everyone he meets – he is soft as silk and a sweetheart! His coat is absolutely amazing, and he is in great health and fully vaccinated with a doggie passport, and has so much love to give.
A few things to note:
• Suitable for a stable and mature household (preferably single/couple) with lower energy and stimulation in the home environment.
• No kids, no cats, no bunnies/rodents/etc
• New to Canada, he is still getting used to the “threats” of this terrain and environment such as horses, deer, bees/wasps, thistle, rain, snow and other things that do not exist where he is from – so needs someone to promote his curiosity in a safe and positive way.
• A previous series of incidents have left him nervous (and thus reactive) to certain medium/larger breeds, in particular Husky’s, GSDs, and golden retrievers.
• He has been taken out to patios and other social settings for socialization, but deep down would prefer to be in more open and chilled out spaces.
• He has the nose of a sniffer dog, and he will likely want to sniff every leaf or blade of grass in a new area – once he is regularly familiar with a place, this wears off and he will trot along at speed. Pls be patient with him, he reminds you to “stop and smell the roses”!
Cooper’s independent up-bringing and constant let-downs by humans have resulted in him sometimes taking a long time to truly open up to his new humans. Once you can gain his trust and show him a world of love, adventure and security – he will be the best and most loyal friend you could possibly ask for.
Please apply at raincoastdogrescue.com if you’re interested in fostering to adopt Cooper. Please DM us for follow up as well.